Vidya Gyan Scholarship Programme
Vidya Gyan Scholarship Programme: Promoting Muslim and Dalit Girl Child Education Programme and Women Empowerment
With the broader aim of women empowerment and ensuring accessibility of quality education to girls lag behind economically, educationally and socially SSK started its initiative in 10 gram panchayats of Cholapur block of Varanasi district from 2007. The programme has not limited only to the education it is a movement that promote girl child education and women empowerment
- To provide educational opportunities and accessibility of quality education to girls from minorities and deprived communities those are lagging economically and socially
- Advocate for women active participation and action in local self-governance
- Involve community members at each level in issue based community action
- Formulation of Panchayat level “Abhivahak Manch” a group of active citizens having some developmental vision. This forum take up the initiatives on the issues related to quality education and its accessibility and knock the appropriate department for the solution of the problem.
- After building an environment on education community felt need for a place where they can get some educational activity centre from where they get knowledge and updated information’s. With community consultations, five village level resource centres were established in the intervened gram panchayats in Cholapur.
- This VRC is designed for catering the need of all age groups. It has a rich collection of books on social issues, stories, literature, and general knowledge. Detailed information’s and forms of various government schemes are also available here. Various outdoor and indoor games were available for the community. The other educational materials like globe, some common science practical instruments are also available for the students of the area.
- Adolescent girls’ groups and women collectives are formulated and they are actively participated in the issues related to local self-governance. These groups act as a pressure group and raising their voices against the social problems. These groups beside their social empowerment put their first step for their economic stability by opening bank account of their SHGs.
Supported by Rajiv Gandhi Foundation